Monday, April 17, 2006

Little Dylan

No 8: The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse

If it wasn't for my girlfriend buying this CD for me a couple of months ago, I would not have been able to include it on this list. I knew it was an awesome CD, don't get me wrong, but I didn't own it for some odd reason (I know, sometimes I defy logic!)

Anyway, it's hard to believe that it was 10 years ago that Jakob Dylan and his band came out with this album. The radio hits are well-known: "One Headlight," "6th Avenue Heartache," "Three Marlenas," and "The Difference." My favorite is "One Headlight" with "The Difference" a close second.

But don't forget about the "B-sides." There are 11 good tracks on this CD..."Laughing Out Loud" and "Josephine" being good examples of the "other" songs.

What I like about The Wallflowers is their music and Dylan's voice. It's a voice I can't do. Maybe "One Headlight" is the hardest, but it's so breathy and yet grovelly that my throat is too dry to sing halfway through the song. But I love the blues rock (almost country!) guitars and the B3 organ. And the vocal harmonies are enticing. Sometimes there are no background voices, but you can still hear harmonies. I like that.

What ever happened to The Wallflowers?

2 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

Jimbo,

I always enjoy reading your blog and hearing you wax musical in your posts.

Would love to get the print music for a song called "The Greatest Commands," by some group called, Four Yankees Down South, have you heard of them. They sang down at RTS last Spring. If you have a copy of the music, slip it in the mail. I'd love to have our musicians use the song when our church moves into its new digs in May.

-Jack

 
At 6:20 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger James said...

UGH, how do I keep forgetting the music!!! Sorry. You know there is no way I could forget Four Yankees Down South!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home