Monday, March 20, 2006

A White Soul Band

I'm back.

No. 14: Maroon5 - Songs About Jane

These guys released "Harder To Breathe" to radio, and I loved it. I loved it. (Still do!) I had to find out more on these guys.

They are five guys who got together, and while they were "figuring out their musical identity" they lived in an African-American neighborhood. The music they heard largely affected their sound. The lead singer, Adam Levine, sounds like a mature Justin Timberlake with a band...he has a talented, smooth, and high-ended voice. And the music DOES sound like five rock guys playing soul music...a bit of R&B, funk, hip hop, and pop all thrown together.

Their unqiue sound yielded other hits as well: "This Love," "She Will Be Loved," and "Sunday Morning." I was going to list off my favorite other tracks, but I really like em all. Maybe "Shiver" and "Not Coming Home."

Lyrically...ugh, nothing too special. All 12 tracks, surprisingly, about Jane. Love songs. (Or break-up songs.) Nothing unique there. A few of the songs deal with psychological aspects of relationships...I can't say I want MY relationship to look like anything they portray, but at least it's not total cheese lyrics that way.

Good stuff, though, that Maroon5. This is something I can handle singing to!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home