Wednesday, March 15, 2006

No. 15 is 14 years old!

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience

I loved this album when it came out and I still like it. It was the first time that I realized a specific aspect of music that I like...guitars that, in effect, banter back and forth with the singer as opposed to simply playing background chords.

NME was the breakthrough release for Gin Blossoms of course. It gave us the huge radio hits "Hey Jealousy," "Until I Fall Away," "Found Out About You," and "Allison Road." Quite a list.

But two of my favorite songs are "Mrs. Rita" and "29." (Although "Hands Are Tied" has a great driving rock sound to it!) "Mrs. Rita" is about someone who wants to know answers about lovers. (I never said this stuff was deep!) Favorite lyrics there:
Tell me Mrs. Rita, what's it say in my tarot
Read my palm and tell me why do lovers come and go
(and)
I've been keeping myself busy
With my books and with my tapes
Everyday's much better since I slowed my drinking pace.

"29" is about getting old and looking at yourself. (Not that 29 is old!!!) They use the word "indifference" in the song, and I just like a song that can use a word that unpoetic.

Again, I never said these lyrics were deep or hard to decipher. They're fun(ny) and the music is very easy to listen to and enjoy. I just love the guitars here and the overall sound.

Oh, I gotta leave you with one more lyric to show how goofy this stuff is...
You can't call it cheatin'
Cause she reminds me of you.

And on that shallow moment, have a good one...

2 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James,

I like this one too but not all the lyrics reflect the values I believe to be true--I've never looked to tarot cards to answer questions.

 
At 5:54 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger James said...

Yeah, I don't hold fast to many of the lyrics as far as reflecting what I believe. But it is interesting to read what others think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home