Monday, April 09, 2007

Don't Look Back

As the last child in my family, I spent a few years without any siblings to play with. Hence, I have many fond memories of playing pool or army guys in the basement, listening to music. One song that sticks in my head from those years is "Don't Look Back" from the Fine Young Cannibals. No comments on the musical choices, please (although it's amazing how little content can go into a pop song...)

Anyway, the lyric that stuck in my head is "don't look back, it won't do no good." Hey, it was catchy musically. The lyrics though? I liked them, but they don't really fit me. I like history. Check that, I LOVE history! I think history and looking back IS good. It shows how someone or something got to be the way it is. It helps you understand. It reminds you that God IS in control and His ways ARE being accomplished.

As a vastly mature and married 30-year-old, I would subscirbe to the concept of "look back, just don't regret." Regretting won't do no good.

When I look back on my life, I don't regret a thing. I didn't ENJOY everything, I just don't regret it. I've had some pretty tough and trying times. Times I didn't exactly want to be in. But I think we're called to hold tight to God's promises. He doesn't promise us an easy life or one always full of friends or fortune. But He does promise us He will never leave us. I have found that the trying times in my life have been a way for God to pull me closer to Him. He's refining me. He's making me more like Him. Fun? Not always. But good. And good to look back on.

So look back, just don't regret. It may not be a catchy phrase fit for a pop song, but hey, you can't win them all.

10 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and God's way is ALWAYS the easiest!

Nickel

 
At 7:44 PM, April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I believe I need some clarification Mr. De Boer. If by "regret" you mean to be sorry for, or repent, then I must disagree. Certainly, when speaking of acts of sin, I regret such acts in so much that I repent and seek forgiveness; I'm sorry for what I have done. Now, if by "regret" you are referring to a continual refrence to prior bad acts, acts that you have already repented of, then yes, I agree that you should not regret such prior behavior in so much that I have been forgiven for such actions--they have been cleansed by the blood of Christ. The latter is a way for doubt to enter into our faith. The former is a way for us to vitalize our faith--through the recognition and confrontation of our sins, and then being healed therefrom. Perhaps what you are describing is to "look back, but just don't DWELL on your past mistakes."

 
At 4:23 PM, April 12, 2007, Blogger James said...

Well, my musing on "regret" wasn't really talking about sin. I was more refering to major life decisions, such as moves and occupational changes. I recently resigned from a job that I only held for two months. I could choose to think that I made the wrong decision two months ago or that I gave up on the job too soon. Or I could choose, correctly I believe, to think that I made the right decision two months ago based on where God was opening doors. I may not have enjoyed my two months at that job. But that is where God led me and I grew because of it. Therefore I'm not going to look back and regret working at that job. I wasn't thinking of or refering to acts of sin. Hope that gives some clarification.

 
At 4:42 PM, April 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It did clarify. Keep up the interesting thoughts!

 
At 8:11 AM, April 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Nickel told me I should read the comments - whew, deep!

Nickel said his therapist told him that the past is helpful if you use it in the present to better the future.

Nickel

 
At 7:35 AM, April 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up?!

Nickel

 
At 11:17 AM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much.

Nickel

 
At 7:56 AM, May 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No musings lately, El?

 
At 10:38 AM, May 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and don't let us down!
We wait for weeks, nah, months so it better be good!

Nickel

 
At 6:12 AM, May 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day James!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home