Thursday, February 02, 2006

An inspiration in art (and radio)

I'd love to make a change in radio. I'd love to find (or start) a station that plays ALL music. Jack FM plays most everything, yes, and that is my favorite thing there. But my dream is a station that plays Christian AND mainstream music all mixed in. Truth be told, I'm not sure why CCM needs its own industry. What makes "Christian music" "Christian"? I'd rather see "Christian" music be vertical, worship music (aka "praise") and the rest be "music" (aka real music about life.) That's side ranting in relation to this blog, but really, how many Christian songs or musicians are out there in mainstream music? More than we realize, I'm guessing.

Anyway, I want a station that plays ALL music. And now I'm even more focused on WHY. I found a journal entry from Warren Bazemore (from Silers Bald) saying their band has always strived "to be more relevant, more creative, and more excellent at the gift of calling ourselves artist." God doesn't just give us gifts and abilities to do our job (or calling) and just "get it done." He has called us to subdue the earth and have dominion over it (ie do the best we can.) And I think the Christian music industry as a general rule needs a major kick in the pants to be more creative and get out of the streamlined rut it is in.

But read Bazemore's journal entry (called "Apathy as Art.") He references Francis Schaeffer's "How Should We Then Live" which notes that a defining feature of the Roman Empire before it collapsed was apathy in the world of art. (Apathy in art? Hmm, that sounds familiar!) Go to Silers Bald's website and click on the "Journal" link...the article should be the current post (even though it is from 2004!) (And good news! Silers Bald is working on a new album!!!)

7 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind Christian bands playing the mainstream circuit as long as they don't lose sight of the purpose of their music/lyrics; and also so long as they don't exchange the boldness of their lyrics for the success of their music (that is, so that they don't "water down" their lyrics in order to attract a broader base of listeners). I believe Tree Sixty-Three has a song along the lines of "Why would I write/sing another song that doesn't speak of You Lord?"

 
At 7:58 AM, February 04, 2006, Blogger James said...

I agree...if a group's purpose is to play vertical music to God, then awesome...don't lose sight of that! Tree63 is a group I really respect. They are a group that KNOWS their purpose and then (in their words) "rocks" the best they can. In Bazemore's words, they seek "to be more relevant, more creative, and more excellent at the gift of calling themselves artist." (BTW, I highly recommend their album called "The Answer To The Question.")

 
At 2:06 PM, February 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be saying there is no such thing as Christiam music. Does that mean that God has nothing to do with music, just with lyrics? That would seem strange to me because God is the one who created everything and asks us to "do everything for God's glory." Can you simply take over the non-believers' musical styles and themes and use them that way? Seems to me that our relationship to the Creator has got to influence our use of musical instrucments as well as our use of trees, alcohol, oil, clothing, etc.
Vince

 
At 10:10 AM, February 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out "The Answer To The Question." Thanks! Keep up the postings, I find them to be interesting...

 
At 11:19 AM, February 05, 2006, Blogger James said...

Vince, GREAT post. I think I actually come from the same mindset as you and would ask all the same questions. Our relationship with our Creator HAS TO influence everything we do, including our use of instruments. Let me repeat...EVERYTHING we do has to be influenced by our relationship with God, because we were created by Him and for Him. So God has everything to do with music!

Where I struggle is to actually call *music* "Christian." *I* am a Christian because God has chosen me and I offer my life to Him. But what makes *music* "Christian"? If music IS "Christian," what does that mean about "other" music...it would have to be UN-Christian. (And I fully say that there is music with evil/Satanic elements!) But I just don't know how you can say a SONG itself can be UN-Christian when even a guitar played well can show God's majesty and dominion.

 
At 8:19 PM, February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

james, you have a cool blog site.

 
At 4:09 PM, March 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger,

It is better than a book! Your blog has helped me learn stuff that I desperately wanted to know about! I can't thank
you enough... :)

Regards,
spyware blocker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home