Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Katrina Cleanup

Sooner or later I’ll dig into some music stuff on this here blog, but things keep coming up…like hurricanes and such. (Speaking of which, go Noles!)

After getting out of town for a chunk of last week, I drove back into Mississippi Monday evening. It was sad. While I still marvel at the different directions trees have fallen and how road signs can just be snapped right off, I could also sense an air of sadness in the South. The worst part is, I was still a few hours north of the coast where the real destruction is. But it was still sad to see the brokenness and hurt.

What was truly amazing to me, however, was how God spoke to me through the mess I saw. We had a CD playing in the car, and one of the songs was called, "It’s All About You." Lyrically it was simple, but sometimes "simplicity" speaks the deepest.

It’s all about you Jesus
And all this is for you
For your glory and your fame
It’s not about me
As if you should do things my way
You alone are God
And I surrender to your ways.

What a great re-frame (or paradigm shift) for how I was looking at things. Hurricane Katrina was not about how much hurt people had, how much they lost, or even God "punishing the wicked." Hurricane Katrina was and still is about the Glory of God. Everything we see with our human eyes should funnel into that mindset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home