Monday, March 06, 2006

Breaking the teens

No. 19 – Train

From what I read, major record labels were lining up in the mid-90s to sign Train. And from what I heard on their self-titled album it makes sense.

I have a soft spot in my heart for most California-based music (Train, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cake, P.O.D., Switchfoot, etc.) but these San Francisco boys released one of the best-produced songs I have ever heard, “Meet Virginia.” I can seriously sit down and listen to each different instrument for the entire song and be blown away. The vocals, the guitar, the bass, the drums…outstanding.

Chances are, “Meet Virginia” is the only song you have heard of from this album. If so, that’s too bad. There is some REALLY good stuff on here. I love “If You Leave,” “Homesick,” and “Free.” Patrick Monahan brandishes some excellent vocals with great range and control.

Some of my favorite lyrics on this album (outside of “Meet Virginia”) are “You wanna go where they still pump your gas for you, where they remember your name.” And the hidden tracks are great.

As I finish this up, I can’t believe how far down the list I put this album. I mean, I think the same thing about MOST of the albums on my list, but this one in particular. The self-titled CD is Train’s best album…no offense to the boys, but all chugging has been downhill since then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home